American University Kyiv to open in Kyiv: details announced at Ukrainian Embassy to the United States
We reveal what the programs will be, what the peculiarities are, and how the university will work.
On January 12, at 18:00 local time, the Ukrainian Embassy to the United States in Washington hosted a discussion on opening the American University in Kyiv. The discussion was attended by the Ambassador of Ukraine to the United States Oksana Markarova, the Rector of the University Roman Sheremeta, and the University team. Together they presented the concept of the educational institution and told about the opportunities it would provide to students.
American University Kyiv is created in partnership with Arizona State University, with the support of Cintana Education, which operates American universities outside the United States, as well as with the help and support of founding partners and business partners. The establishment of the university is also financed by Ukrainian companies, including, for example, Hennadiy Butkevych's investment company BGV Group Management.
Arizona State University (ASU) is one of the ten best and largest universities in the United States, with 135,000 students. In addition, according to the US News and World Report, ASU has repeatedly been recognized as the most innovative educational institution in the United States.
"This is a new private university in Kyiv. This educational project is also a business project created in partnership with Arizona State University. And this is a true partnership and students in Kyiv will actually get a window and door to Arizona Uni and enjoy everything that students enjoy in Arizona," said the ambassador, adding that in her opinion, competition in education is not a competition but collaboration.
At the same time, Kurt Volker, Special Representative of the US State Department for Ukraine from 2017 to 2019, stressed that such educational projects are about ensuring Ukraine's security because investing in people is the best way to build it. "This is our investment in the country and helping it get back on its feet," he added.
Details of the project were revealed by University Rector Roman Sheremeta and Cintana Education Chairperson Rick Shangraw.
What is known?
- The university will start working at the River Port Station in Kyiv, where its main building will be located. At the same time, the founders plan to build a separate campus in Kyiv within 10 years, where there will be space for dormitories, stadiums, and other attributes of university campuses. According to Roman Sheremeta, who has lectured at hundreds of universities around the world, the location at the River Station is unique: "Only the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, can compete with it in terms of beauty. It overlooks the ocean. And yet, what we have is even better!"
- It is planned that the university will have 2,000 students; that is the capacity of the River Port building. And then, with the creation of its campus, that number will jump to 7,000! Students will be accepted in 2022.
- In March 2022, two master's programs will be launched: global management and software engineering. Undergraduate programs will be launched in September.
- Students will study in Kyiv, and the last year of study can be spent at Arizona State University, online or offline.
- Such graduates will receive double diplomas, Ukrainian and American (Arizona State University diploma) with all relevant certifications recognized in the world.
- According to the members of the university team, great attention will be paid to the quality of student life. In particular, a separate position is envisaged, the responsibilities of which will be to create optimal conditions for students. For example, students will be able to get help and advice when applying for an internship in international and business organizations, etc. Rick Shangraw noted that in addition, students at American University Kyiv will gain experience identical to that of American universities, with clubs, self-government, and sports. By the way, maybe they will develop American football! As for the sports program, the founders are not yet sure which sport to focus on: the choice is great, from kickboxing to European football.
- As for the teaching staff, Roman Sheremeta notes that for the university to provide education at the American level, at least 60% of the teaching staff will have to have Ph.D. degrees of American or European standard. Arizona State University professors and other visiting professors will also teach online.
What else is interesting?
Rick Shangraw's motto during the discussion was: "We will teach students not only for their first job but also for their last."
"Ukraine is a nation of innovators. We will train global leaders with a global mindset. And now Ukraine needs such people more than ever," Roman Sheremeta added.
For now, Roman Sheremeta notes, the experience of studying at American University Kyiv will resemble studying at New York University; the concept of a university in a big city. But later, with the creation of their campus, they strive to create an experience similar to, for example, studying at Stanford.
The official presentation and opening will take place in February.
Meanwhile, the founders are inviting teachers and looking for people to sponsor the university to create a working business model. Among the possibilities are, for example, the establishment of scholarships by sponsors.